Monday, July 18, 2011

Old Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits!

These biscuits are a family favorite. I took several recipes and blended them together to make one heavenly buttermilk biscuit! I have made them with sausage gravy, served them with fresh berry jam and local Oregon honey, made them jumbo size for bacon, egg and cheese sammy's or added just a little more buttermilk and used them as my dumplings for you guessed it chicken and dumplings. Which is a recipe I plan on sharing this fall when the weather turns damp and cool...oh wait we are unseasonally damp and cool now...well you will still just have to wait for that one.
   Please follow the directions carefully and you will have a tender and flaky biscuit that will have your loved ones asking for more. I realize now that I have started posting recipes that I have a few kitchen essentials that  I would have a hard time doing without and one of them is my 10" cast iron skillet. I use it for a variety of recipes but probably the most for this recipe. I suggest if you don't own  a cast iron skillet that you shut down your computer right now and go buy one. Trust me you won't be sorry that you did! 


Old fashioned Buttermilk biscuits
1 stick butter (it will be divided)
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
7/8 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 9" or 10" cast iron skillet. Set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Take the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter and using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture. Lightly toss butter into the mixture.
4. Add the buttermilk and stir lightly with a fork until the dough is free from the sides of the bowl.
5. Dump dough onto clean counter and knead gently, 10-12 folds. (Do not over knead or biscuits will be tough).
6. Roll or pat out the dough into a 1 inch thick square. Cut dough into 9 squares.








7. Place biscuits in cast iron skillet with the melted butter.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes. Enjoy warm from the oven with with additional butter, jam, or honey.



"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. " Psalm 34:8
This is very similar to my dad's favorite grace~ "Bless us O Lord, for these thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Help us to be mindful of all our blessings, and to be mindful of the needs of others. In Jesus name, Amen

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Your biscuits look like they melt in your mouth. Yum.

    ReplyDelete